Within a short drive for a great day out lie the Cotswolds, Forest of Dean and Wye Valley, Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Frampton-on-Severn, Westonbirt Arboretum, Gloucester Docks and Cathedral, Berkeley Castle, Woodchester Mansion, Owlpen Manor, Rococo Gardens, plus beautiful country walks and many other attractions.
Famed for their unique characters and attractions or events; nearby Bath, Tetbury, Cheltenham Spa, Bourton on the Water and Cirencester offer a great choice of things to see and do. City life is close by in Gloucester and Bristol, and easily reached by bus or car.
For the city or big town shops, head for:
- Gloucester city centre and Gloucester Quays
- Bristol city centre and Cabot Circus or Cribbs Causeway (The Mall)
For the Cotswold and market town shopping experience, head for:
- Bourton on the Water
Time it right for sports and seasonal events, including; the Severn Bore (an amazing sight), Badminton and Gatcombe horse trials, Cheltenham horse racing, Gloucester rugby at Kingsholm, Cheltenham literature, science and music festivals and summer events, and many more.
Within 5 miles there are several pubs serving food, including:
- The Whitminster Inn and the Old Forge – a 2 minute walk
- The Fromebridge Mill by the roundabout at the bottom of the hill – a 15 minute walk (or 1 minute drive).
- The Bell at Frampton-on-Severn – a 5 minute drive.
- The Ship Inn at Saul – a 5 minute drive.
- The passage at Arlingham (fish specialities) – a 10 minute drive.
- The George at Cambridge – a 10 minute drive.
- The Harvester at Quedgeley – a 10 minute drive.
- The Bumble Bee at Quedgeley – a 10 minute drive.
There are plentiful options for local walks, which will take you out into the countryside, along the waters edge and past many watering holes to quench your thirst.
Horse riding and countryside trails
There are several stables nearby which offer riding trails for all abilities.
- Tumpy Green Equestrian Centre, Tumpy Green Lane, Dursley, Glos, GL11 5HZ. Tel: 01453 899002 or 07799 610960 http://www.tumpygreenequestriancentre.co.uk/ (approx 6 miles away)
- Cotswold Riding, Ongers Farm, Brookthorpe, Glos, GL4 0UT. Tel: 01452 813344 http://www.cotswoldtrailriding.co.uk/ (approx 7miles away)
- Camp Riding Centre, The Camp, Near Stroud, Glos, GL6 7HJ. Tel: 01285 821219. http://www.ridingschoolgloucestershire.co.uk/home (approx 12 miles away)
Cycle hire and trail riding
There are many lovely cycle routes nearby and for the more adventurous, there are several great trail riding locations. Cycles are available to hire:
- Dean Forest Cycles, New Road, Parkend, Forest of Dean, Glos, GL15 4HG. Tel: 01594 368009 http://deanforestcycles.co.uk/ (approx 27 miles away)
- Mos Bike Shed, The Gatehouse, Bonds Mill, Stonehouse, GL10 3RF. Tel: 07738 055479. Situated on the canal. (approx 2.5 miles away)
- Slimbridge Boat Station, Shepherds Patch, Slimbridge, Glos, GL2 7BP. Tel: 01453 899190, Situated on the canal. (approx 5.5 miles away).
- Tarmac and Trail, 18 High Street, Stonehouse, GL10 2NA. Tel: 01453 822881 http://www.tarmactrail.co.uk (approx 3.5 miles away)
Our Cotswolds Bed and Breakfast is ideally located to give you access this huge choice of attractions and activities, and many more.
Tourist Information Centres and online visitor information
- Gloucester T I Centre: 28 Southgate Street, Gloucester GL1 2DP. 01452 396572
- Stroud T I Centre: George Street, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 1AE. 01453 760960
- Online visitor information:
www.travelaboutbritain.com/gloucestershire – Gloucestershire visitor attractions
www.thecityofgloucester.co.uk/things-to-do – Gloucester
www.visitthecotswolds.org.uk – the whole of the Cotswolds
www.exploregloucestershire.co.uk – a ‘what’s on’ guide for Gloucestershire
www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk – a Gloucestershire guide